Sunday, July 20, 2008

Velcro?

I was gone for the week. I was at camp with my oldest daughter. I was a counselor. I left my two youngest at home with dad. Actually, I mostly left them with my sister in law, Amy (wonderful woman). She took charge of the kids most days and evenings as Scott worked. Amy planned a week full of great activities calling it "Camp Auntie M'amy". The kids did crafts, went on field trips (water park/picnic, rodeo, softball game, and more), and played lots! The kids had a great time. I spent the week at camp; able to devote myself to the role of counselor, building relationships and being present for the needs of my kids at camp because of Amy's capable care and love for my kids. I missed them yes, but did not fret for them.

On Friday I came home. Since the time I arrived back, I believe that I have become the loop side of the Velcro. Every time my children come near me they press in a little closer and I need to pry them off of me when I have to move. I love their expression of love for me. I have to admit I have wanted to hold them closer too. I have heard on several occasions the spontaneous utterances of "Mom, I missed you for hundreds of days" or "Mom, I am glad you are home" or "You were gone lots of days mom". I can never doubt that my kids love me. They were nurtured, cared for and loved in my absence and still they missed me. I love being their mommy.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I am glad you had a great week at camp! I am sure your girls are so happy to have their mommy home - even though they had a great time with Amy there is no one else like mommy!

Krista said...

I think it is so special that you and Amy have such a great relationship. It truly is a blessing that God gave you each other.