Friday, October 3, 2008

Let's talk birthdays

Hannah is now 8. Wow. The days go fast. I love that child. A lot. She is sensitive, caring, kind, quiet, introverted, strong willed, hard working and a complete joy. My little Miss Boo is not so little anymore. Hannah loves books. A lot. She is an avid reader. She enjoys imaginative play. I will often see her in her own world, taking on a character (like a mom or princess) and playing it without any reservation, completely absorbed. She is completely what she is imagining. Now, often this is something her older sister finds quite embarrassing. "Mom, make her stop." she will say as Hannah plays the "Mom Game" as they call it in the store. We have had to set up guide lines as to when this sort of play is appropriate. I look at her though, and hope that her free spirit, not controlled by the opinions of others will continue throughout her life. She is her own person. From her style of dress to the way she faces situations with either determination or tears. I love Hannah. I pray for her heart to be always connected to Jesus. She loves him already. I pray it is always that way.

Now that I have paid tribute to my precious child, I want to talk birthdays. Now Hannah had for herself this year several celebrations of her birthday. Let's chronicle her birthday. It all began 12 months ago. The day after her last birthday. She began earnest discussion about what her next birthday would be. How she would party. Who she would invite. Where the festivities would be. And so on. Then the year continued on with ongoing reminders to me that her birthday was coming. That she wanted a party. That she wanted so and so to come. Etc. Well, as a mom, I don't know about you but I listen enough to take note of her interests so I can understand what she really enjoys, but I pretty much tune out the rest. I mean at this point the party would be about 10 months away!

So, the summer comes. I begin thinking about the party situation a little bit more as the time is getting closer. Then comes the real decision time. Do we or don't we party. Well, in our home we have started having friend parties about every other year. Other than that we have a family get together every year for each child (and adult for that matter).
Now, here is what I am wondering about. Yes, I decide on a party for her. Then we have Grandma and Grandpa who want to take her out to eat with the immediate family (presents, singing, like a party). Then Scott and I plan a special immediate family pancake breakfast party for Hannah on her birthday morning. Then we have our family get together at our house with all our extended family present (with presents of course) on the weekend after her birthday. And lastly we have the kid party (this was a couple weeks after her birthday as we did a combo party with her friend who also turned 8 in September). Whew. Her birthday is in the mid part of the month. It seemed her birthday lived for a long time as we got through all these parties. Now, can I ask? How many parties does a child need? What am I creating here by having so much attention given to a child for a birthday? Now, don't get me wrong. I love honoring her. Birthdays are about my favorite. I just wonder, is it too much? What do you think? I would love a conversation about birthdays. How much is too much? Can a child survive without so much? What do you think?
As you consider your opinions and comments about this, please enjoy a pictorial chronicle of Hannah's birthday celebrations:


Dinner at TGIF with Grandma and Grandpa


The family party. Hannah received a new Webkinz dolphin. Ethan (my wonderful nephew) loves Hannah's new boots.

Our family pancake breakfast party. Daddy took the early part of his work day off to be home with his birthday girl.

Tea party fun!

4 comments:

Dámaris said...

I love it, I am glad I am not the only one that usually ends up with more than one b-day party for the kids. I can't help it but love every minute of it. I thought Hannahs tea b-day party was wonderful. Heather totally enjoyed herself. After all they are kids only once right?
I enjoy your blog!

Leah said...

Same thing happens to us. The birthday lasts the whole month! I don't mind though. They're only little for a little while. I remember the year between my birthdays was an eternity when I was 8. With all that anticipatory build-up, may as well let 'em enjoy it!

Krista said...

I say the more parties the better. I mean how many days does a child have that are dedicated especially to him or her, no one else. Just one a year, technically, so why not make it really last. After all, how long do we really enjoy turning a year older?

Kristen said...

When I grew up, birthdays weren't a "big" deal - no parties or anything. So I definitely try to make my kids birthdays special. When we lived close to family we did a family party until age 5 and then only a friend party after age 5. Now that we live away, it is usually a friend party and then we do a "family" thing with our neighbors.

I think it is great for the kids to feel special and celebrate their special day. Hannah definitely has had a very full month :o)