Tuesday, September 2, 2008

So Confused????

Well, today was the day. The day of the biopsy. I prepped (no food/water, shaved legs, painted toe nails "I'm so vain", wore no makeup, purchased jell-o and broth for clear liquids as instructed for after the operation, etc.). Oh, I left out the continual repetition of thoughts regarding the procedure, the wait, the pain, the wondering about what the results may be, whether good or bad. So after the wait and the process of it all I got to the hospital this morning ready for what lay ahead, or so I thought.

The nurse began to prep me for the localization and gave me my IV. After that we waited. And waited. And waited. Then an hour after the procedures were to have begun a doctor (radiologist) came to visit me. This is where I got confused. Real confused.

He began to tell me that he did not agree with the first radiologists approach for localization and biopsy. He suggested the biopsy be a needle biopsy of the cyst. What cyst I ask? I had not been told about a cyst. Only that I have dense tissue that needed to be biopsied to figure out why I have the symptoms I do. Then he suggested I could, instead of doing the needle biopsy, do an MRI. What??? He kept discussing my symptoms, telling me this and that and I was confused, my husband was getting frustrated. I didn't know what to do, so I talked to the surgeon. Remind me never to do that. That only got it more confusing. Surgeon's talk a strange type of English. So, we left the hospital, frustrated and mad (Scott) and completely confused and frustrated (me).

I determined to be my own advocate. I called my personal doctor. She has always communicated well with me and talks using the same English I do. So we talked today and she is on the hunt to determine what is really happening with whole mess. So, now, I wait. Still confused. But somewhat hopeful that I may learn, at some point, what is happening here.

Thank you for praying with me. God hears our prayers. I was spared today from a possibly unnecessary operation. I am relieved. However, I would like prayer for resolution of this matter and for the doctors as they decide what to do next. I do trust that God can remove all symptoms through his amazing intervention.

As you pray please also pray for a wonderful friend who reads my blog and was being proactive in her breast health, doing a self check. She found a lump. She went to the doctor and has a biopsy scheduled. Remember ladies, check yours. It should not be ignored.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Thanks for sharing such a personal ordeal. You are in my prayers until we hear the good news that ALL is normal. By the way, I think it's really rotten that they waited until you were on the table ready to go to decide to rethink things. Something is definitely wrong there!

katie henbest said...

oh wow! what a trip Kym. i'm so sorry! that would be so frustrating. i will be praying for you!

Kristen said...

I am praying for you friend. keep me posted after your appointment on Wednesday.